Banner

Banner

Monday 31 March 2014

Legend (Marie Lu)

Legend is a science fiction, action novel that also has hints of romance and survival. The story alternates between the view points of the two main characters, June and Day. Personally I’ve never been a fan of multiple perspectives however, in this book, it adds to the feel of the story and brings more to it as well. It adds to the plot because the two characters come from two very different lifestyles that co-exist in one city.
The Book Cover
The novel starts off a bit slow, introducing you to the world in which it takes place, but then it reaches a point and drastically picks up the pace to the point of not wanting to put it down. I really struggled to pace myself as I passed the halfway point of the story. Normally I would be disappointed by a slow-paced beginning of a book, but in this case there was something about it that kept me hanging on. Since the plot takes place in a corrupted society and the hierarchy of the citizens was determined in an unorthodox way, I found myself enjoying the prolonged descriptions.

The first main character, June, is brought up in the upper class society and never has to fight for her high quality of life. Despite that, she has grown to be a grounded and morally driven person; this adds a dynamic of contrast that you get to see develop. The second main character, Day, is brought up in the lower class society and is the criminal of the city. Despite that, he too is very grounded and never commits crimes without moral reason. He focuses on what he needs to do to survive and never just lays down and allows the upper class to rule him; this too adds a dynamic of contrast compared the to the lower class civilians.

Legend is the first novel in a trilogy followed by Prodigy and then Champion.

I would rate this novel 4.3/5 because it really held my attention for the majority of the novel.

Until next time,
Happy Reading Fellow Bookworms :)

No comments:

Post a Comment