Banner

Banner

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Followers (Anna Davies)

Before I start writing the review, I want to formally apologize for my absence from this blog. I finished reading the book in this review about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but I just couldn't find any words when I sat down to write. Being in University through the summer is tough because usually this is my busiest time for reading; but that's not the case this time. The past few weeks have been quite overwhelming with school work and exams, but I hope to make up for it with the next few reviews. So let's get started with this one!

I came across this book after seeing it on the "New" shelf in my library, and something about the cover caught my attention. I'm not sure if it was the hard-faced girl on the front or the font, but I know that it stood out that day I was there. Followers by Anna Davies is labelled as a horror book in my library, though I would say it's more so a suspenseful mystery. The book follows a girl named Briana as she enters a summer boarding school of the arts, more specifically aimed at theater. Pushing herself from her comfort zone and the shadows that she has existed in for a while, Briana tries out for their school production of Hamlet; though things don't go as planned. In fact, it's not just Briana's role in the production that doesn't go to planned - the production itself is in jeopardy. Someone seems to have a sick sense of humour when a Twitter account predicts numerous tragedies, ones that Briana is being blamed for. Will the perpetrator be revealed, or will Briana be left with her back against the wall?
Upon finishing the book, I was left with mixed emotions. The plot itself sounds pretty exciting, when I put it as I have; that's the plot that I got from the brief description I had available to me. Even reading the description, I knew it wasn't going to be the horror book it was labelled as, but I wanted to give it a try. The story itself is relatively unique, but the way it is written makes coming to a conclusion fairly easy to do. The book tries to lead you to different people, but it's clear that those people are too obvious of suspects. All of the characters in the book have a clear cut personality and an identity, which is nice to read and not always found. But without a convoluted plot, that nice factor no longer feels as prevalent as it should.

Overall, I would rate Followers 2.5/5 because I am still on the fence with my thoughts about this book; maybe that's another reason why I was stuck in a slump. All I know is that the plot was a little predictable, but the characters were believable.

Until next time,
Happy Reading Fellow Bookworms :)

Leave a comment with your thoughts on this story or with a suggestion of another book I should read & review!

If you would like updates for when a new review is posted, check out the Tumblr page
If you would like behind the scenes updates, check out the Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment