Banner

Banner

Monday 17 March 2014

Insurgent (Veronica Roth)

Insurgent is the sequel to the popular novel, and upcoming movie, Divergent. This sequel definitely lived up to the first book and I quickly found myself sucked into the characters and plot; I never wanted to put it down before going to bed, much like the first book.
The Book Cover
Insurgent is definitely a fast paced novel with multiple twists and turns, many of which are very unexpected. When you open to the first page, you are immediately drawn back into the story right from where the first book left off. As a reader of quite a few trilogies and series, I admire an author's doing of this; there is nothing worse than a sequel beginning five years later, for example. For an author to continue a sequel where the initial novel ended means that they had already thought through the plot before beginning the series; continuity is a characteristic I value in series of books.

With this novel, I often found myself trying to predict what might happen next; however, I rarely was right! For an author to successfully lead their reader to a different plot path truly takes some skill. To direct a reader's thoughts in a direction entirely different from your own requires extra thinking and planning on the author's part. I definitely admire Veronica Roth for doing this so successfully.
Author - Veronica Roth
You continue to see character development from both Beatrice and Four, as well as some of the other secondary characters that you grow to love. The plot of this novel begins to show more dynamic and becomes very intricate in the sense that your brain is torn between many different thoughts.

I would rate Insurgent 4.5/5 because it was almost perfect, though part of me hates the cliffhanger; that’s probably because I had to wait so long for the next book.

Until next time,
Happy Reading Fellow Bookworms <3

No comments:

Post a Comment