Banner

Banner

Friday 2 May 2014

The Gravesavers (Sheree Fitch)

The Gravesavers came to my attention while I was searching for a different book on my library's online database. It appeared on the side bar entitled 'Recently Rated', as someone had given it 4 out of 5 stars; the title of the book, as well as the cover, intrigued me. I immediately put a hold on the book and began reading it without any prior knowledge of the storyline. Upon arrival of the book, I noticed that it was both a Canadian novel as well as a Red Maple Award winner; for those of you who may not know what that is, it is (simple put) a reading program offered to students in Grades 7 through 9 with a small selection of books on which you get to vote on at the end. I was excited to read the story since it was a winner of this reading program because I once participated in this program myself.
The Book Cover
Upon beginning this novel - about one third of the way through - I would have placed this story into a Historical Fiction category; however, as I approached two thirds of the way through, the storyline took a different path that I would instead class as a Supernatural Fiction category. This novel actually is composed of not one, but two story lines that become entwined:
The first story follows the life of a young girl named Cinnamon "Minn" Hotchkiss who is forced to go spend the summer with her grandmother following a rather unfortunate event. Much to her distaste, Minn actually begins to enjoy that summer upon discovering the graveyard in the town at which she is staying; however this grave site is in terrible condition and is not faring well to the sea.
The second story follows the life of a young English boy named John Hindley in the year of 1861. His family decides to uproot and travel across the seas on the magnificent SS Atlantic.
SS Atlantic
The stories entwine as Minn discovers more about the graves and the connection they have to the past, and more specifically John Hindley's family. I won't say much more as I hate over sharing a novel's plot, however I wanted to intrigue you readers to perhaps try a different genre other than the Science Fiction novels I have reviewed previously.

I instantly fell in love with the character Minn because she, in a way, reminded me of myself. Her imagination is wild and when she becomes passionate about something, she truly sees it through until the very end; I found her character to be a breath of fresh air.

As for the plot, I loved it. I really am at a loss for words because I think it's a book you need to read for yourself to understand the feeling I got. I wasn't in tears, it's not that type of feeling; if anything, I think I felt at peace at the end. The main message I got out of it was, "the past may be unsettling and may never quite leave you, but if you find a way to come to terms with it and let it go, you will find a sense of happiness and peace."

I would rate The Gravesavers 3.9/5 - which may seem low - only because I found the story to be a little slow and over descriptive at the beginning, otherwise it was a very good book. It's not my usual pick of genre, but I am very glad to have read it.

Until next time,
Happy Reading Fellow Bookworms :)

Leave a comment telling me your thoughts on the book or a suggestion of what I should read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment