Banner

Banner

Friday 22 August 2014

Landline (Rainbow Rowell)

Landline is a book that I became aware of via the world of Tumblr. I follow quite a few book blogs - as I like to get ideas of new books to read - and this author (and book) was one that appeared on my dashboard quite often. On a recent trip to the library, I happened to look in the 'New' section and saw this book sitting on the shelf. Having recognized it from Tumblr, I decided to give it a go since it has been popular in the online world. Of course, I knew nothing of the story or plot before checking this book out.

Landline is a fictional romance story that follows the marriage of Georgie McCool and her husband Neal. Having been married for quite some time and now being parents to two lovely girls, things aren't as great as they used to be. Georgie is your typical business woman - always consumed by her work - is realizes that her family could cope quite fine without her; perhaps even not notice her missing. When Neal takes the kids to Omaha for Christmas, leaving Georgie at home by chose, Georgie soon finds herself regretting that decision. However, at her mother's house, she finds an old land-line phone that seems to allow her to take to pre-marriage Neal. How is that possible? Does this mean a second chance at happiness?
The Book Cover
That above blurb basically sums up the complete story. Having completed the book, I have to say that I am quite conflicted about what to rate the story. On one hand, the idea behind the story is something that I really love. The concept that one could talk to the past and help themselves realize how to fix things is a unique story line. However, the way Rainbow Rowell chose to apply that concept is another thing. I found the story to drag on and be repetitive, not reaching the full potential that I'd hoped it would. I often found myself skipping sections in hopes of finding something new. In addition, I found myself confused as to which phone conversations were with present Neal and which were with the past; there was no visual distinction (ie. italics, font change...).

Overall, I would rate Landline a mere 2.2/5 because of what I said above. It really breaks my heart to see a unique and intriguing storyline applied so poorly by an author. Rainbow Rowell is an author I had high hopes for because of the popularity I'd seen throughout many book blogs on Tumblr. Needless to say, I won't be trying another one of her books anytime soon.
Her other novels, if you would like to give them a go.
(Let me know your thoughts on the others if you've read them)
Until next time,
Happy Reading Fellow Bookworms :)

Leave a comment with your thoughts on this story or with a suggestion of another book I should read & review!

If you would like updates for when a new review is posted, check out the Tumblr page!

No comments:

Post a Comment