Banner

Banner

Friday 11 April 2014

The Fault In Our Stars (John Green)

This book by John Green had been receiving a lot of hype both through the media and online, therefore I had to make time to read it. I knew nothing of the content before starting the book so my opinion on the book is solely mine. I also found out that they are releasing this as a movie in June of this year. Upon finishing this book I had some concerns about how they would do this tastefully, however I have seen the trailer and my reserves have faltered a little since that initial concern.
The Movie Poster
The Fault In Our Stars follows these two young characters who are far from your average teenagers. The plot follows the lives of Hazel and Augustus, both teenage cancer patients, who meet at a support group where they talk with others, such as Issac, going through the same things. The story is much more than that simple description, but I don't want to give away too much. If you find cancer stories triggering, then I don't recommend this because in no way does John Green sugarcoat that concept, much like other novels do.
The Book Cover
This book took me a little while to get into it and I found myself easily predicting the ending, or so I thought. As I really got into the story, I found myself very much invested in the two main characters, as well as some of the other minor characters. The way John Green wrote the novel allowed me to feel like I was there, and not just reading a book. John Green's style of writing is so elegant that you can't stop yourself from falling into the pages and visualizing everything that he lays out on the page.
Author John Green
Upon reaching the end of the novel, I was in tears. I never expected what was coming until it was just about to happen. It is rare for a book to make me cry as much as I did, and therefore I have full respect for John Green and his work. To be able to write a novel about cancer in a beautiful yet real way is difficult to do and convey to a reader.

Based on the fact that it made me cry, a rarity in my life, I rate this book 4.7/5. I would give it a perfect score however, I found the initial rate of this novel to be a bit slow; I understand why John Green did it - as it reflects how cancer works - but my personal liking is to dive head first into the story.

Until next time,
Happy Reading Fellow Bookworms :)

No comments:

Post a Comment