Banner

Banner

Monday 14 April 2014

The Maze Runner (James Dashner)

This review is for the first novel in a series of 3 by James Dashner. The first book - The Maze Runner - is one I’ve been intrigued to read for a while now. Before beginning the book, I really had no idea of what the storyline was; but something about the title called me in and it was recommended by YouTuber Joey Graceffa. I also learned, from Strawburry17's website, that this novel is being made into a movie! I can't wait until later in this year to see this book unfold before my eyes.
An Unofficial Movie Poster
The Cast of The Maze Runner Movie
 The Maze Runner follows the main character Thomas as he enters a new sort of world. Upon entering this world he finds himself surrounded by four walls and a community that is unorthodox; it’s a community run by teenage boys. This world is even more obscure because outside of those four walls is a maze that tests your bravery, fitness, and mental stability. I can’t give more of a synopsis than that as I think it would give too much of the storyline away; experiencing the plot first hand is definitely as aspect of the book that needs to be felt to understand the full experience.
The Book Cover
Though the story did start of slower than I usually like, it didn’t really bother me this time. I think the atmosphere that the author paints was enough to hold me this time. There is an unwritten suspense to the beginning of the story; it almost feels as though you ARE Thomas. You are both experiencing this new world at the same time. Everything is new, strange, and you don't know where you've come from; the "before" of this world is unexplained to you as a reader much like the "before" has been wiped from Thomas's memory.
Movie Depiction of Thomas
However, the story does pick up very quickly. It’s almost like when you roll a ball down a hill: it starts off slowly but picks up speed continually until it can’t seem to stop - only does it stop when it hits something. This book after about a quarter of the way drastically picks up speed and doesn’t slow until the last chapter. I finished two thirds of the book in one day! I honestly couldn’t put the book down!

I would rate this novel 4/5 because of the way it pulled me in. Of course, because of the slow start, it has a slightly lower rating.

Until next time,
Happy Reading Fellow Bookworms :)

No comments:

Post a Comment